The primary role of Missions Committee is to assist the Church Council and its members in fulfilling the Great Commission which the Lord Jesus Christ commanded in Matt 28:19, 20 – “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you”.
Under the overall guidance and authority of the Church Council, the Missions Committee is responsible for developing, implementing and stewarding the Missions Policy of the Church in the following areas :
- raise awareness of Church members to the Church’s Missions Policy and to the goals, needs and work of missions;
- encourage/challenge involvement of Church members in praying, giving and going into missions;
- provide counsel/advice to Church members who are prayerfully considering going into full-time ministry service for the Lord;
- assist Church members in equipping themselves for missions by providing/arranging for training materials and programs;
- organize/lead short-term mission trips for Church members to give them exposure to missions;
- provide care/support to Church missionaries in the field and when back home on leave/Sabbatical;
- review/recommend to Church Council financial support to full-time workers, missionaries and mission/Christian service organizations.
The following are some of the key programs planned by the Missions Committee :
- Missions prayer meetings on the last Friday of each month;
- Half-day prayer retreats once or twice a year;
- Organize missions month for church members and Sunday School scholars;
- Short-term mission trips – typically one or two;
- Regular dialogue with Church members who are in full-time ministry;
- Present specific needs of full-time workers and missionaries to Church Council, as and when the need arise;
- Annual review of financial support to full-time workers, missionaries and mission/Christian service organizations.
The Missions Committee is made of a Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Prayer coordinator and members.
Matthew 9:38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”