Our History

2017

  • Sunday, 1 Jan – prayer for 3 newly appointed Mandarin Congregation Elders

2016artist impression of the new building

  • Saturday, 12 Nov – 80th Anniversary Dinner
  • Monday, 23 Feb – Rebuilding of annex starts
  • Sunday, 7 Feb – Combined Thanksgiving Service

2013

  • Formation of the Men’s Bible Study Group
    – first Sunday after service
  • Mrs Annie Ong chairs the Ladies Fellowship in January 2013.

2010

– Bethesda Tuition Ministry (BTM) formed to provide free tuition to students
– Partnered Chung Cheng High School to share the brethren history and Christian faith as part of its Secondary One students History syllabus on ‘Religions and Philosophies’

– Senior Citizens 12th anniversary
Senior Citizens 12th Anniversary

2009

– Acquired unit at 160 Carpmael Road

– Ms Yong, missionary to East Asia. She is working amongst missionary families with children.

2008

– Jan : Entered partnership with St Luke’s Hospital to provide annual health screening to Haig Road residents

2007

– Started the Alpha course. Between 2007 to 2010, 20 people have come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour

2005 Dec

– Partnered Esther Network, FES to start Bible study with Indonesian foreign workers

1999

– Miss R. Lee, missionary to a SEA country. She worked amongst the orphans for 10 years.

1998

– Senior Citizens Ministry started by Mr Victor Chander.

1995

– Church joined as founder member of St Luke’s Hospital
– Partnered OMF in adoption of Kalagan unreached people group in Philippines.

1987

– Mrs Ang Woon Chuan appointed the Ladies Group chairman in April 1987.

1986

– Daughter church at Bedok-Tampines built
Bethesda (Bedok Tampines) Church

1978

– Mrs Flora Wee started chairing the Ladies Fellowship in January 1985.

1978

– Mrs Wee Woon Hoe starts to chair the Ladies Fellowship in April 1978.

1977

– Mandarin congregation started

Maniams visiting ASCO ministry

1976

– Bethesda Book Centre branch opened at Marine Parade

1974

– Mrs Tan Ai Lin starts to chair the Ladies Fellowship in April 1974.

1973 Aug

– Annexe extension constructed

1966

– Ladies Group started by Mrs TC Koh.

1969 Sept

– Bethesda Book Centre opened at Toa Payoh
Bethesda Book Centre

1965

– Selene Chew commended as a missionary

1964

– Daughter church at Frankel Estate built
Bethesda (Frankel Estate) Church

1960

– Oct : Jim Chew commended as a missionary
Jim & Selene Chew

1953

– Bethesda Katong Church started the Kindergarten in 1953 at Jalan Pipit by the first Superintendent Tan Suan Lui.
Kindergarten
Sunday School Teachers in 1953

1950

– Oct : BKC established as a private company, limited

1949

– Adjoining houses at 21 and 23 Pennefather Road acquired

1947

– Nov, Side extension constructed
Annex - 1st Floor
Annex - 2nd Floor

1940

  • Incorporated under the Companies Ordinance 1940. 
  • 1st Batch of Sunday School Teachers

Sunday School Teachers - 1st batch

1937

– Feb, First choir formed

1936

– Feb 29, Opening of Bethesda (Katong) Church hall, 17 and 19 Pennefather Road, by Mr Wee Thiam Seng. Accomodation – 200.

– Mar 1, Peranakan services – commenced.

 

Sunday School

1935

– Nov, Foundation stone laid on 11 Nov
Building
Foundation Stone

Visit Count: 4862